Vocabulary and Phrases
KFC - Keep, Flip, Change (For Dividing with fractions)
Fraction times Fraction equals Fraction ____ x _____ = _____
(For +/- fractions with unlike denominators)
Slide Method - (For LCM, GCF and LT when simplifying fractions)
GCF - Greatest Common Factor
LCM - Least Common Multiple
LCD - Least Common Denominator
King Hector Died Monday drinking chocolate milk.
BLT - Big to Little use Multiplication - LBD - Little to Big – Divide
BLT Ex: big units of kg would be multiplied to find out how many mg there are
LBD Ex: little units of cm would be divided to find out how many km there are
Area of a rectangle
Base times Height OR Length times width
Area units are SQUARED
Length times width times height → Learning With Hadden
OR Area of Base time height = Volume
Volume units are CUBED
4 Quarts = 1 gallon (4 quarters = $1), 8 pints = 1 gallon, 16 cups = 1 gallon
*2 Cups = 1 Pint 4 Cups = 1 Quart 2 pints = 1 Quart* 1 cup = 8 oz
Order of Operation: Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
(Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiply or Divide from left to right, Add or subtract from left to right)
2 - If it’s even 3- add the digits, is the sum divisible by 3?
4 - last two digits 5 - ends in 5 or 0
6 - apply rules 2 and 3 8 - last three digits
9 - add the digits, is the sum divisible by 9? 10 - ends in 0
When adding or subtracting decimals, line-up the decimals 14.3
Place the decimal straight down in your answer. +4.5
ADD LIKE IT’SMONEY $ 18.8
Also line decimals up when comparing them!
When multiplying decimal the placement does not matter at first. Remember to count your decimal places to place the decimal in your answer at the very END.
17.2 (3 #s TOTAL behind
x3.14 a decimal in
688 the problem so 3
1720 #s behind it in
+ 51600 the answer)
Types of Angles:
Acute (less than 90)
Right (90 degrees)
Obtuse (greater than 90)
Shape Names based on the Number of Sides:
3 – Triangle
6 – Hexagon
7 – Heptagon
8 – Octagon
9 – Nonagon
10 – Decagon
Hey diddle, diddle, the medians in the middle.
We add and divide for the mean
The mode is the number that shows up the most.
And the range is the difference between
There are 3 teas (teaspoons) on a table (tablespoon)
2 tables in the ounce house
And 8 ounces in each cup
GA Milestone Practice:
1) Adam has $20. He wants to buy a book that costs d dollars. Which expression shows how much money Adam will have left if he buys the book?
A. d - 20 B. 20 - d C. d + 20 D. 20 / d
2) If "n" represents a number, which of the following means "32 divided by n"?
A. n / 32 B. 32 / n C. 32 x n D. n + 32
3) Evaluate 3s - t for t = 6 and s = 4
A. 18 B. 14 C. 6 D. 9
4) Twice a number "n" decreased by 24 is eight. Which of these shows a correct equation for the previous statement?
A. 2n - 24 = 8 B. 24 - 2n = 8 C. 2n + 24 = 8 D. n - 24 = 8
5) If c - 4 = 7, where c = the number of cars in the parking lot this morning, which of the following is true?
A. There were three cars in the parking lot this morning.
B. After 4 cars drove away, there were 7 cars left.
C. After 4 cars arrived, there were 7 cars left.
D. After 7 cars arrived, there were 4 cars left
6) The Achievers Club is having a carnival at the school. Each person will pay an entrance fee of $3.00 and $ .50 for each ride. If the expression 3 + .50x represents the amount spent by each student, what does x represent?
A. Number of students entering the carnival C. Total amount of money spent by each student
B. Money earned by the Achiever Club D. The number of rides each student rode
7) Sixty-four flowers have to be arranged equally in n flowerpots. Which expression represents the number of flowers in each pot?
A. n / 64 B. 64 x n C. 64 / n D. n + 64
8) The students at Isabelle’s school want to sell 210 tickets to a teacher volleyball game. They have sold 54 tickets. Isabelle wants to write an equation to find how many more tickets, t, need to be sold. Which equation should Isabelle write?
A. t x 54 = 210 B. 54 - t = 210 C. t - 54 =210 D. 54 + t = 210
9) Which decimal is between 0 and .5?
A. 0.65 B. 0.45 C. 0.5 D. 0.8
10) A small piece of gold weighs 0.155 gram. What is the word form of this number?
A. one hundred fifty-five tenths C. one hundred fifty-five hundredths
B. one and fifty-five thousandths D. one hundred fifty-five thousandths
11) Which number is two tenths more than 4.05?
A. 6.05 B. 4.25 C. 4.07 D. 4.052
12) Megan drove 4.6 miles from her home to a friend’s house. Then she drove 7.1 miles to a store. About how many miles did she drive in all?
A. about 11 miles B. about 12 miles C. about 13 miles D. about 14 miles
13) Which numbers are in order from least to greatest?
A. 1.742, 1.558, 1.671 C. 4.057, 4.122, 5.008
B. 0.561, 8.627, 5.325 D. 6.705, 6.527, 6.211
14) Which shows fourteen and thirty-six hundredths?
A. 140.36 B. 14.36 C. 14.036 D. 1.436
15) Brianna received a gift of 4,632 stickers from her grandmother. She wanted to divide them equally among herself and her five best friends. How could she be sure there would not be any leftover stickers without actually dividing?
A. The digit 6 is in the number so there will be six equal groups with no leftovers.
B. The number is even and 4 + 6 + 3 + 2 = 15. Fifteen is divisible by 3. Therefore, there will be 6 equal groups with no leftovers.
C. The last two digits are 3 and 2. When they are multiplied you get 6, so there will be 6 equal groups with no leftovers.
D. The number is not divisible by 6 because the 4 in the thousands-place is not a factor of 6
18) Rectangle A has a base of 15 ft and a height of 12 ft. Rectangle B has a base of 14 ft and a height of 13 ft. Which parallelogram has the lesser area? Draw and label your parallelograms and show all work. Explain how you know.
20) The community center has decided to move the parking area to the back of the building and replace the front with a grass lawn. The lawn is rectangular shaped with a length of 10 yards and a width of 40 yards. They have already spent $1584 on surrounding the lawn with a white picket fence. A bag of grass seed covers 50 square yards at a cost of $4.99 per bag. What is the total cost to renovate the front lawn with the new grass and fence? Draw and label your shapes and show all work.
A. $71.92 B. $1588.99 C. $1623.92 D. $12275.99
22) A square and a rectangle have equal bases and equal heights. What is the area of the rectangle if the area of the parallelogram is 44 sq cm? Draw and label your shapes and show all work.
A. 44 sq cm B. 11 sq cm C. 22 sq cm D. 88 sq cm
25) You have 2 ft of ribbon to use as a border around all 4 sides of a rectangular shaped lid of a little jewelry box that you are making as a gift. How much ribbon will be left over if the length = 5 ¼ in and the width is 3 ½ in?
A. 15 ¼ in B. 15 ⅚ in C. 6 ½ in D. 7 ⅔ in
25) Rahul has received an allowance each week. He spends ½ of his allowance for his school lunch, ¼ on entertainment and saves the rest. What part of his allowance does he save each week?
A. He saves $0.61 each week B. He saves ¼ of his allowance each week
C. He saves $0.31 each week D. He saves ½ of his allowance each week.
26) Madelyn earns $8.25 per hour for the first 8 hours that she works each day and 1 ½ times this amount for each hour that she works over 8 hours in a day. About how much did Madelyn earn if she worked 10 ¾ hours last Wednesday?
A. $28.50 B. $88.69 C. $92.81 D. $100.03
27) Which number will make the fractions equivalent? 6/7 = x/42
A. 30 B. 32 C. 36 D. 47
28) Which fraction is not in simplest form?
A. ⅕ B. 2/7 C. 4/12 D. ⅚
29) Which statement is true?
A. ½ < 5/12 B. ⅝ > ½ C. 4/7 < ½ D. 5/12 < ⅜
30) 1,300 grams = _______ kilograms 31) 3,000 centimeters = ________ meters
32) 8 kilometers = ________ meters 33) 50 millimeters = ________ centimeters
34) 17 centimeters = ________ meters
35) The fish aquarium holds 150 liters of water. How many milliliters does the aquarium hold?
A. 15,000 mL B. 0.150 mL C. 1,500 mL D. 150,000 mL
36) The pier is 200 meters long. Each board is 80 centimeters wide. How many boards are in the pier?
A. 25 boards B. 20 boards C. 250 boards D. 200 boards
37) Jack-Jack caught 5.4 kilograms of fish this morning. Her dad caught 3,900 grams. How many kilograms of fish did they catch in all?
A. 3.9 grams B. 9.3 kilograms C. 5,400 grams D. 9,300 kilograms
38) How many milliliters are in 35.05 liters?
A. 0.3505 B. 30,505 C. 35,500 D. 35,050
39) 48 fl oz = _____ cups 40) 32 cups = ______ pints
41) 2 gallons = ______ quarts 42) 424 pints = ______ gallons
43) 20 quarts = ______ gallons 44) 50 pints = ______ cups
45) Circle the greater amount - 20 quarts or 4 gallons
46) Circle the greater amount - 12 pints or 12 quarts
47) Circle the greater amount - 16 pints or 4 quarts
48) Find the mean, median, mode and range of this data: 5, 12, 7, 14, 8, 9, 4
Mean: Median: Mode: Range:
49) Find the mean, median, mode and range of this data: 20, 39, 31, 37, 32, 33, 34, 32
Mean: Median: Mode: Range:
50) Practice making your “cheat sheet” for the CRCT by writing down all of the tricks you can remember off of the top of your head. :) Do this several times until you feel like you can get all of your notes down every time!
GA Milestone Short Response Questions
- Remember to begin your short response by re-phrasing as a statement.
- Algebra Short Response
Part A: Complete the chart above
2. Coordinate Grid Short Response
3. Fraction Short Response
GA Milestone Short Response Questions Key
- Algebra Response below earns 2 points
Algebra Response below earns 0 point
2. Coordinate Grid Short Response earns 2 points
Coordinate Grid Short Response earns 0 points
3. Fraction Short Response earns 4 points
Fraction Short Response earns 1 point